About the Academy
Support the Academy,
A National Historic Landmark Restoration and Preservation Fund
Along with the Anniversary Concert and Ball, the Restoration and Preservation Fund Annual Giving Campaign is a significant fundraising effort for the Academy of Music. While proceeds from the Concert and Ball are shared between the Academy of Music and The Philadelphia Orchestra, all of the monies donated to the Restoration Fund go directly to the restoration and preservation of the Academy.
Founded in 1957 at the Academy's centennial by Stuart F. Louchheim and a group of civic-minded businessmen, the Restoration and Preservation Fund has been instrumental in restoring the Academy to its current splendor. Combined proceeds from the Concert and Ball and the Annual Giving Campaign have gone towards numerous restoration projects, including a new main house curtain, designed and woven by Scalamandré, conservation of the ceiling murals and wood sculptures, the restoration of the main lobby and grand staircase to their former splendor, and the renovation, soundproofing, and carpeting of the ballroom. Two new elevators were installed, thanks to the generosity of Ambassador and Mrs. Walter H. Annenberg, making all levels of the auditorium accessible to the physically challenged. The Academy was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1963.
Please contact The Philadelphia Orchestra and the Academy of Music, at 215.893.1978 for more information or to give a contribution to the Academy of Music's Restoration and Preservation Fund.