Relaxed Sensory Friendly Performances
What is a Relaxed Sensory Friendly Performance?
Relaxed performances are designed to provide a concert experience that is welcoming, inclusive, and comfortable for children and families with sensory sensitivities, as well as anyone who would benefit from a more relaxed environment.
Our aim is to create a safe and accepting environment where children, including those on the autism spectrum and with other developmental disabilities, and their families can experience live music together. The Academy of Music’s Ballroom—with its comfy carpet-floor (few chairs) seating and natural lighting—is a lovely, yet relaxed venue well-suited for young children with sensory sensitivities. Seating capacity is limited for relaxed performances. Lighting and amplified sounds will be mid-level, and children are invited to move, vocalize, get up to walk around, and be who they are.
Resources Available for Relaxed Sensory Friendly Performances:
- Pre-visit stories help children prepare for the outing, from arriving at the hall to the end of the performance, and everything in between. Sound All Around Tuba
- Trained staff, ushers, musicians, and volunteers from Art Reach and Temple University prepared to welcome and help you during the performance.
- A quiet space outside of the ballroom with bean bag chairs where children may take a break from sensory stimuli. Disposable earplugs will be available, and children may also bring their own headphones.
- Fidget toys and sensory stress toys. Patrons are also welcome to bring additional manipulatives, cushions, and extra support objects to the concert.
- Opportunity to visit the Academy of Music. If you would like to schedule a free pre-concert venue visit, please contact HEAR@philorch.org.
- Flexible refund policy:The Philadelphia Orchestra and Ticket Philadelphia make every effort for you and your family to have a successful concert experience. If you are unable to attend the concert for which you purchase tickets, you may switch concert times, exchange for a different series, or receive a full refund. Exchanges must be done prior to the date and time printed on your tickets.